Last Updated on
Interested in visiting the AQWA Aquarium in Perth with Kids? This is what we did!
“Let’s take the kids to Aquarium” Mumma traveller suggested to Grandpa. “Don’t like seeing all those fish trapped in tanks” he replied.
Unfortunately for him, Little Miss 5 had overheard and thought that it sounded like a good idea. (The Aquarium part, not Grandpa’s stories of horrendous aquariums he had visited 20 years ago.)
At the end of the day, Grandpa admitted that it had been a stunning experience and most enjoyable!
Things To Know About A Visit To AQWA Aquarium With Kids
1. It’s located at Hillary’s Boat Harbor which is a about a half hour drive north of the city itself. Given that the Aquarium isn’t a full day visit, you might like to wander amongst the moored boats or do some shopping at Sorrento Quay. The kid’s eyes lit up at the sight of a ‘fun park’ but it is apparently closed until further notice.
2. Arriving in the morning on a weekend (approx. 11 am) it was packed full of people. There was a queue to buy tickets and the viewing areas were very full of prams, people and noise. It was also dark, so the little guy (aged 2.5 at the time) was overwhelmed while Grandpa’s hearing aid was struggling with the acoustics.
3. Everyone’s highlight (aged from 2 to 75) was the moving conveyor belt through a huge aquarium with sharks and manta rays! We went around 3 times, but certainly, go around at least twice… we had some of the more exciting experiences on the second time.
4. So many fish can get overwhelming… for everyone! There is a playground outside and down the back. We had a great play; meaning rest for the folks, and the kids burnt off some energy and went back full of enthusiasm again.
5. We took our own lunch and bought a treasure pack with an eye patch for the kids, which saved us a bundle, considering this is already an expensive day. The kids absolutely loved their treasure packs (containing juice and chips.)
6. Almost serendipitously, at the end of the day near the playground and lift, we stumbled upon a ‘viewing room’ which has with lounge chairs and big windows. The aquarium was a huge TV, fun to sit and watch. Even though we had only visited for several hours, we were happy to sit and watch the fish float by.
How To Get There – AQWA Aquarium
It’s located at Hillary’s Boat Harbor which is an about a half hour drive north of the city itself. Given that this Perth aquarium isn’t a full day visit, you might like to wander amongst the moored boats or do some shopping at Sorrento Quay.
How Long Do I Need To Spend At AQWA Aquarium
You could visit a minimum of two hours, but that would make it poor value for money. Our suggestion is to look at the AQWA website for options like Off Peak visits. Also, if you are visiting during school holidays plan your day around the activities and value add the visit.
Also, check out the AQWA’s “What’s On“ for some ideas and tips
Value For Your Money
At $79 for a Family of 2 Adults and 2 Kids, but only 2-3 hours of activities then this is a more expensive activity. We strongly recommend looking at their off-peak pass, or visiting during holidays and planning to participate in activities to make the most of your money!
(Comparison – the Perth Zoo is $75 for a Family of 2 adults and 2 kids and a really full day of activities)
Visiting Perth – Check Out Our Other Resources
Going to be staying in Perth, Western Australia? Check out our Best Perth Family Accommodation.
Kings Park is an amazing park in Perth. Read our post A Guide To Kings Park Perth With Kids.
If you are looking for destinations around Perth, read our post Top 5 Day Trips From Perth.
Check out these Perth and Western Australia guidebooks below. They are great for planning a visit.
Like It> Pin It> Tips For Visiting The AQWA Aquarium With Kids