We’ve been traveling with a DJI Mavic Pro for about 6 months now and here is our families experience traveling with a drone. It is time for us to share the pros – and cons – of having a drone in your family travel kit.
This post may contain affiliate links, from which we would earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. More info in my disclaimer.
Our Families Experience Traveling With A Drone
First, we want to tell you HOW we came to buy this marvelous and very technical piece of equipment. Papa won the money in a draw at the local pub the week before we headed to Fiji! I know, NO KIDDING, he won cash! Now, we could have put that money into any number of things but we feel that if you have a stroke of luck you should spend it on something you wouldn’t have bought otherwise. Maybe that is not very responsible but that’s what we believe. So we bought a drone and headed off to Fiji to learn how to fly it. You can check out the specific drone DJI Mavic Pro.
Not to mention, that when we got home we had to learn to edit footage.
I’m definitely not going to say that you NEED to buy a drone as it is not a necessity. However, if you have found this page you are probably weighing up the pros and cons of having a drone in your family travel kit! If you are like this mama, I wasn’t that enthusiastic. Without being a spoiler, I was totally wrong! The drone is Awesome!
1. You get some amazing footage and stunning perspectives. We all enjoy heading home after Papa has filmed on the drone and watching the videos – they show another side to the place we have just visited.
2. You also get amazing photos and, if you are into photography like we are, having stunning and different photos is a definite pro of having a drone.
3. They are relatively easy to fly and control. Papa has taught himself using Youtube videos and so far, so good. Although he has had a couple of minor crashes!
4. It gives Papa something to do when the kids/family are playing. He had tried fishing at the beach or having a beer but something was missing. Now he has a hobby that he can practice at the same time as the family. Works for us.
This Mumma’s Arguments About Not Getting A Drone (Con’s That Were Myths!)
1. That traveling with a drone isn’t compatible with family travel (eg, they are dangerous)
This mumma’s initial response to the drone purchase was not particularly supportive. Ok, not at all supportive. I had visions of the thing falling out of the sky and crashing on the kid’s heads. Yes, some caution needs to be exercised when landing or taking off and keeping the kids away from it, but it wasn’t as bad as I imagined.
2. There is nowhere to fly them
We are learning that Western Australia, with plenty of wide open space, is the ideal place to have a drone. Sure, we have had a visit from the police asking what we were doing flying it in our neighborhood. Probably we won’t fly it around our home anymore as it does seem to make the neighbors uncomfortable.
In Fiji the drone sent warning restrictions all the time, as there were lots of little airports around the islands.
That said, traveling with a drone as part of our family travel kit, you don’t want to be flying it all the time. It could get to be invasive, so having restrictions works for us!
3. It is an expensive thing to crash/ lose
Yes it is!!! So far, so good! Papa takes good note of the wind conditions and has watched lots of Youtube crash videos, learning from other people’s experiences.
4. It is another piece of technology that takes you away from living in the present moment
While in Fiji we were traveling with DJI Mavic Pro, GoPro, DSLR camera, and the phones. It was way too much! We’ve agreed that we have to decide what we are doing or we have a tech overload. Drone flying conditions seem to be good at dawn and dusk, so papa tends to head off at those times.
5. You need to work out a good storage system for the files. They are huge. We didn’t realize this – something to think about when you make the purchase.
In short, if someone in your family is looking for a new hobby, we have found that traveling with a drone is an awesome addition to our family travel kit. It adds a whole new dimension and fun. Make sure you get a great drone bag and all the accessories and have at it.
Like It> Pin It> Our Families Experience Traveling With A Drone